I was inspired to make the draught excluder this weekend after reading Emma Hardy’s tutorial in Mollie Makes (issue 18)
I’d never created a piece using patchwork before and as we are now officially in autumn here in the UK a draught excluder will certainly be useful for keeping me toasty during the cold and windy months.
The tutorial in the magazine was fairly easy to follow and the illustrations really helped. As did the hexagon templates on the Mollie Makes blog. I decided to use the dark patch fabric to make the back of the draught excluder so fingers crossed it will look cleaner for longer.
Overall I’m impressed with the project although a few of the seams are a bit wonky and it isn’t as chunky as I’d like. As the draught excluder measures 35inches in length I did get fed up half way through the project as it took a long time to cut and sew the pieces together so instead of three lines of patchwork I made mine out of two.
I’m not overly fond of using the Catherine Kidston style material for making home furnishings for my living room as I want to create a more contemporary feel. I’ll probably end up remaking the draught excluder in brighter colours and once it’s been re-made I’d like to make some matching cushion cases to go with it. I decided to use the material this time as I wasn’t sure how the piece was going to turn out so I wanted to use material that I already had in the house instead of buying new..